Monday, October 22, 2012

"GENERATION G": INSIDE A....... SHARE-ABLE WORLD?






Did you know, we are living in a “Shareable World?”. I know I didn't. At least I didn't realize actually  how "shareable" it actually is or can be. For my blog today, I chose to respond to an article from “SHARE or DIE.” I then chose the section called Society where I found “10 Ways Our World is Becoming More Shareable” and I must say it kind of blew my mind as to how things really are. How though?? 


Well for starters, what exactly does a shareable world mean? Right now, it seems as if everyone is going through everything, everywhere. From wars, to riots, to hate crimes, so where in the hell is this so called shareable world that this book speaks of?? It is of course right up under our noses, but everyone seems too occupied with world issues, instead of trying to find ways how to solve them. From the internet, to non-profit organizations, there is more than one way to lend a helping hand. 

 For instance, everyone's main girl called Social Media.Everybody has some type of social media they use for something. Whether it is a profile on Facebook or Twitter, or something as simple as a YouTube Channel. Millions of people use it,but only thousands may be using it for the good of the people. There are many organizations that use social media to get the word out about fundraisers for certain causes,research,diseases, or even posting tutorials on how to perform certain tasks or homework that you would be absolutely lost about otherwise.Well, why aren't more of us on the helping end instead of the “Lend me a hand?” Once you receive your help does it hurt to pass it on? I think not. 
This article also pointed out how cities and even our lifestyles are filled with sharing. We all know of the recession and how it has taken it's toll on most if not all. How is sharing involved in that? When we see a family member or person , of course you want to lend a helping hand. At least, I would hope. We share what we have with them. Everything from carpooling, to clothes, to maybe even a room in our homes, these are all forms of sharing your world, parts of your life with that person. To help them get them back on their feet.

photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/howardlake/3674210597/

Towards the end of the article, there is a passage about what is referred to as "Generation G" The generation of generosity I believe. I bet you're wondering “Who is apart of that?” I asked the same thing myself honestly. Not too many in my generation seem to be apart of it. So who are they? Only 61% of Ages 13-25 supposedly. Why is that number so low though? Why aren't there more of us doing something for others? Selfless service? Now I will admit, I can be a selfish person at times,but I do what I can when it comes to charities and other things of that nature. Older generations believe that “Generation G” will transform this world. How is that possible if more people are only worried about themselves than others? It does not hurt to help someone in need. I'm not just talking about some homeless person. I mean people like US. College students, high school students, elementary kids, even people older than us. There is nothing wrong with helping and sharing your world with them. Why not share ideas of advancement with each other,instead of keeping it to ourselves, and then wondering why the rest of the world is so behind. We should learn to share our ideas,
share our minds and thoughts, not only for the advancement of ourselves, but everyone.You can't complain about how the world or this nation is lagging when you're not willing to yourself, to go out,search the internet, search the social media, even search the workplace, to find ways that you can get off your ass and do something.Then, once you find it, share that with someone else, so the advancement never stops, and this“Shareable World” can be more existent to us and younger generations to come.

5 comments:

  1. One reason that I think the world is not a "shareable world" anymore is because to succeed in life now you have to be somewhat selfish. Most everything you do in the world is to make yourself a better person not help others better themselves. Take jobs for insistence there is probably only a hand full of people that are actually doing their job to help serve others and the rest of everybody is only thinking about their self. Money is the root of all evil and that's what the world revolves around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately some of my work experiences have made me selfish. Having to compete so hard with others for a better position, some times I think we fight over them like a pack of angry wolves fighting over a piece of meat, willing to do almost anything, including stepping on someone else's toes to get to the top. In doing that we have our own family's need in mind but how often do we ask ourselves how much someone else's family needs the money? Well we usually don't because we are obligated to feeding our own first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that people are selfish, but if we want to do what's best for ourselves people need to get over there selfish ways. Sharing is the only way to get over the recession we are currently in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post to start off. I actually sat down and thought about how a lot of people never really seem to help others as much as they receive. Selfishness is Americas number one habit, and it takes all of us to change that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an awesome post! You really laid it on the line and offer some brutal honesty here. Also, I think that the commenters are very honest about their own selfishness. In many ways, being selfish is human nature because we have a deep drive to survive and, as Telisha points out, take care of our own. But as Myshia argues, we can't continue to be so selfish in our current economy. In face, many would argue that it was America's selfishness that led to the recession. I hope more people think like you and realize that we can't sit around waiting for someone else to help; we've got to start with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete